Would you like to join our team at the Aktá Lakota Museum in Chamberlain, SD? We are seeking a Collections Intern who is interested in learning new skills, gaining practical experience, and contributing to a unique working museum.
Location: Aktá Lakota Museum, St. Joseph’s Indian School
Reports to: Museum Curatorial Staff
Work Schedule: 25-hour workweek minimum, with possible future position.
As a Collections Care intern, you will be responsible for ensuring collections safety procedures are followed, records are maintained, and relevant processes are in place to maintain a safe environment for everyone. Your main duties will include cleaning, undertaking condition surveys, and recording objects within the historical artifact collection. Additionally, you may also be involved with emergency planning, pest management, and other collections care tasks.
- Applicants should have a high standard of quality with excellent time management skills.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Experience with art handling/gallery work/use of power tools is welcomed but not required.
- Applicants must display situational and self-awareness as they will be working directly with the permanent collection.
- A degree from an accredited university or college in history, museum studies, library science, or a closely related field preferred.
- Familiarity with American Indian cultural heritage organizations/local repositories and their materials preferred.
- The ability to perform moderate physical activity such as climbing stepladders; lifting or moving up to 50 pounds; kneeling, standing, or walking for extended periods.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send your application and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the role and your relevant experience to the St. Joseph’s Indian School Human Resources Department or apply online at: https://sjiskids.org/ncs-careers/collections-care-intern/
For more information call or email: 605.234.3275 or HR@stjo.org